Just some thoughts about redoing voicemail..
Probably as an AGI script (see PhpVoicemail), or maybe in dialplan..
- record/re-record messages (incoming/outgoing) WITHOUT overwriting the existing recording until done
- email attachments, pager notification
- simple folders (we don't need 9 email folders IMHO)
- simple greeting system - unavailable, busy (defaults to unavailable if not recorded), temporary (overrides both if recorded)
- wizard-style walkthrough the first time - helps you set password, record name, and optionally record greeting
- multiple different menu layouts/templates - should be possible to emulate other voicemail systems
- backend support: files, imap, db, ....?
- better integration with other freepbx features (eg stuff in UserPortal)? Voicemail can be like the voice-based primary interface to change other settings, like CF
Slightly relevant: http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-users/2007-March/181707.html